Healthy Superfood Curry Quinoa Salad
Author: Elizabeth Rider
YIELD: 8 SERVINGS
- ¾ cup dried quinoa, rinsed well
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- 1 cup + ¼ cup purified water
- ¼ cup plain unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Veggies + Nuts:
- ½ cup diced carrots (about 2 small or 1 large carrot)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts
- ⅓ cup dried currants (or substitute raisins)
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds (roasted cashews are a good substitute too)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Prepare the quinoa first. Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer or colander and rinse well until the water runs clear, about 30 seconds. Let the quinoa drain for a few seconds, then add the rinsed quinoa, salt, curry powder and water to a medium saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Set a timer for 12 minutes. Check at 11 minutes—it will be done once all of the water is absorbed. Be careful not to let it go too long and burn to the pan.
- Once all of the water is absorbed, turn the heat off and fluff it with a fork. ¾ cup dried quinoa will yield 1.5 cups cooked.
- While the quinoa cooks, whisk all of the dressing ingredients in the bottom of a large mixing bowl big enough to hold the entire salad then prepare the veggies. I find making the dressing and prepping the veggies is about the perfect amount of time to let the quinoa cook.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add it while it’s hot to the dressing, then add the veggies and fold it all together.
- Let it sit at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator to cool.
- Will keep in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Tip: If you already have 1.5 cups of prepared quinoa, just add the extra ½ teaspoon of salt and curry powder to the dressing. This salad is delicious if you can prepare the quinoa from scratch and flavor it as it cooks, but it will come together super quick and easy if you already have quinoa prepared.